Louisiana law provides that a potential juror must meet certain qualifications to be eligible to serve on a jury. These requirements are that a prospective juror:
1) Must be a citizen of the United States and Louisiana and must have resided in St. Bernard Parish for at least one year before serving as a juror;
2) Must be at least 18 years old;
3) Must be able to read, write and speak the English language;
4) Must not be under interdiction or incapable of serving as a juror because of a mental or physical infirmity, provided that no person shall be deemed incompetent solely because of the loss of hearing to any degree;
5) Must not be under indictment for a felony, nor convicted of a felony for which a pardon has not been granted.
If you do not meet all of these requirements, you should notify someone on the jury management staff at (504) 271-3434 or by mail to the Clerk of Court at the address indicated on the summons.
Posted in: FAQ